SAN Test Pilot Takes Flight
2020-01-22
Evan and 3rd grade classmates
Meet SAN’s #1 fan: Evan, grade 3, loves SAN 13/10
2020-02-07

Giving Back: Tony Russell, Director of Board Services

On Friday, January 17 the Jackie Robinson YMCA hosted the 35th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Human Dignity Award Breakfast. The breakfast serves as a celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s words and selfless actions by awarding an individual that continues to embody Dr. King’s spirit and humanitarian ideals. This year, the 2020 Human Dignity Award was presented to Dee Sanford, an accomplished business woman who served on the Jackie Robinson Family YMCA board for more than 30 years.

On hand to MC the event and serve as master of ceremonies was Tony Russell, San Diego County Regional Airport Authority’s Director of Board Services. Tony has been associated with the Jackie Robinson YMCA since 2009, serving as Chair of the Board for the last four years. Additionally, he is also in his first year of serving on the board of the YMCA of San Diego County.

“What drives me to be involved in such an amazing organization is that the Jackie Robinson YMCA brings programs and activities to children and families living in Southeast San Diego,” Tony said. “I was born and raised in a small town in Mississippi where I did not have access to these same offerings. The YMCA provides a safe place for children in San Diego to go and get off the streets. We want to teach them life skills that will help them serve their community in the future. I’m proud to donate my time and give back to an organization that invests in our area’s children and families.”

The San Diego County Regional Airport Authority is proud of Tony’s efforts and happy to support community partners like Jackie Robinson YMCA.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Subscribe  
Notify of